The Grange - English Heritage
Set like a lakeside temple in a landscaped park, The Grange at Northington is the foremost example of the Greek Revival style in England. Created between 1804 and 1809 when William Wilkins encased an earlier house in Classical facades, most strikingly is the temple front supported on eight gigantic columns. The house was taken into guardianship by English Heritage in 1975.
Further details can be found at www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/northington-grange
Sir Robert Henley (about 1624–92), a wealthy politician, bought an estate and modest country house known as The Grange in 1662. Three years later, he commissioned the architect William Samwell to build a new impressive residence to replace the house. This residence was drastically transformed from 1809, when the architect William Wilkins – an expert on ancient Greek architecture – rendered the exterior to give it the appearance of a Greek temple.
The earlier 17th-century brick house survives underneath the later neoclassical frontages. The only visible surviving part can be seen from the car park to the right of the house. Wilkins had been commissioned by Henry Drummond (1786–1860), then owner of the house, who wanted something sensational in the latest neoclassical taste. But he disliked the result and sold the estate in 1817 to his neighbour Alexander Baring, whose family continued to alter and embellish the house throughout the 19th century.